EVS vacancy at SPEM (Lisbon, Portugal)
Associação Spin, acting as the coordinating organization, is currently looking for one Spanish volunteer for our partner institution, SPEM (Portuguese Society of Multiple Sclerosis).
Coordinator: Associação Spin
Sending: Un Mundo a tus Pies
Project name: Hands Down!
Activity start date: 1st September 2017
Activity end date: 31st May 2018
Activity duration: 9 months
Vacancies: 1 (for Spanish residents exclusively)
Application deadline: 13th July 2017
Application consists of: CV and project-specific motivation letter
Application sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
The Portuguese Multiple Sclerosis Society (SPEM) is a Portuguese IPSS founded in 1984 with the mission to improve the quality of life of people with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) by attending them through several social services, as well as their caregivers and relatives. SPEM develops its activities in different, but complementary areas: on one hand it works with public powers and national competent authorities in social and health areas, in order to promote a higher efficiency in spreading the information about MS disease and access to the related therapies; on the other hand, it provides integrated and multidisciplinary support through specialized services such as the Ocupational Activities Center, Neurorehabilitation Centre, home care, Psychology, Social Work or Juridical Support.
The volunteer’s tasks will be to:
– Support the daily activities at the Occupational Activities’ Centre (a center that aims to promote the development and maintenance of competences and social integration of people with Multiple Sclerosis, increasing their autonomy in their daily routines and increasing their quality of life through: handicrafts activities, training on new competences, movement/relaxation sessions, recreational and therapeutic/recreational activities)
– Providing support to the patients during lunch hour
– Logistically accompanying and supporting day trips with the patients
– Support the Social Work (EM’Laço Project) through home visits to socially isolated people and outdoor activities
– Providing support to fundraising campaigns and events’organization
– Participation in regular events calendar (exhibitions, debates, books presentations, concerts, etc)
SPEM intends to support the volunteers to create their own events or initiatives, in accordance with their principles and upon Board’s approval.
Volunteers are expected to spend 30-35 hours a week working. Their timetable will include space for work in SPEM, language lessons, days off, social activities and development of their own project ideas, etc.
Concerning the stay of the EVS volunteers, the coordinating organization, Associação Spin, will provide the lodging in an apartment, double bedroom with fully equipped kitchen, toilet, laundry facilities and living room. The costs with electricity, water, gas, tv, are covered by the Coordinating Organization. The volunteers will have to share the apartment with other volunteers/students/young people. Each volunteer will also be sharing their room with another youngster, volunteer or student, of the same gender. The flat will have all standard and safe living conditions as well as respect all hygiene and general Portuguese safety standards. It will be located as close as possible to the workplace and the city center. The Coordinating Organization will provide towels and bed linen for the entire period of the project.
The volunteer will use the public transportation network with the “Lisboa Viva” card which will be provided.
A monthly allowance is provided by the coordinating organization to cover food expenses (150) and local public transportation (36.20), including also pocket money (122.22).
We are looking for young motivated volunteers aged 18-30, open minded, eager to learn about new cultures and lifestyles, as well as to participate in the project activities in the local community. It is not required to have any particular degree of formal education, but to have positive and proactive attitude, show tolerance, flexibility, motivation and enthusiasm. In this project, patience and the capacity to work in a team will be highly appreciated. We encourage applications especially from youngsters who already have some experience in volunteering or in working with people with disabilities and are, at this moment, available to commit to a long term experience of volunteer work abroad and willing to know more about the work developed in this field of action. Priority is given to candidates with fewer opportunities (please consult the sending organization whether this status applies in your situation). Any knowledge of Portuguese is a plus, however it is not a requirement.
Special remarks (please read carefully):
- this project has already received funding from the Erasmus+ Program, so it is sure that it starts in September
- only candidates residing in Spain can apply (our sending partner organization is from Spain, there is no possibility of change in this regard)
- we only accept complete applications that contain all the required documents
- we can´t consider applications sent after the deadline
- send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com, applications sent through other communication channels (Facebook, Youthnetworks, etc.) will not be considered
- due to the high number of candidates, we are only able to contact the short-listed candidates (in order to invite them for a brief Skype interview)
- all the other candidates will be informed about the selection results by August, 16th through our website.