ESC vacancy at AAMA, Lisbon, Portugal
Spin, acting as the Coordinating Organization, is currently looking for 1 ESC volunteer for a project with our local partner AAMA (Association for the Adapted Motor Activity) starting in October 2019!
Hosting Organization: Associação de Actividade Motora Adaptada
Coordinating Organization: Associação Spin
Activity start date: 1st October 2019
Activity end date: 30th September 2020
Activity duration: 12 months
Vacancies: 1 (resident in any Program Country)
Application deadline: 20th May 2019
Application consists of: CV, project-specific motivation letter, presentation about AAMA Association (more information below)
Application sent to: email@example.com
The Association for the Adapted Motor Activity (AAMA) is a national non-profit association that supports people with disabilities and other special needs in the sports, therapeutic, artistic, recreational, educational and training spheres. In this project volunteers will work mainly with the Program for Early Intensive Intervention and Integration in Regular Education developed at the College Flor do Campo, but can also participate in other activities of the Association. The early intervention program is aimed at children between the ages of 2 and 6 years with Global Developmental Disorders and arises from the need to provide these children with fundamental basic skills and tools that allow them to be integrated into regular teaching rooms.
PROPOSED VOLUNTEER ACTIVITIES:
– Support the Coordinating team of the Early Intervention and Integration in Regular Education Program;
– Supporting children with special educational needs in activities of daily routine;
– Implementation and creation of activities related to fine/global motricity and independent play;
– Help in the integration of children in regular teaching rooms;
– Support AAMA’s summer camps, based on an 1 to 1 approach (meaning the volunteer will accompany one child at a time);
– Collaborate for the implementation of AAMA’s events and campaigns.
AAMA intends to support the volunteers to create their own events or initiatives, in accordance with their principles and upon Board’s approval.
LOGISTICS & PRACTICAL INFO:
- Travel cost – The two-way travel (from place of residence to Lisbon and back) will be reimbursed up to the limit of 275€; volunteers facing serious economic obstacles will be able to request a higher limit.
- Accommodation – The Coordinating Organization, Associação Spin, will provide the lodging in a flat as close to the office and the city center as possible. If the apartment is located in the city center, the volunteers will spend around 60 minutes to reach the workplace by bus and subway. The volunteers will have to share the room with another volunteer/student/young person (room and connected expenses are paid by Associação Spin). They may also – if so wished by the volunteer – receive a monthly accommodation allowance and be solely responsible for finding and paying for their own accommodation.
- Food & transportation – A monthly allowance of 180€ will be provided by Associação Spin to cover food expenses and local public transportation.
- Pocket money – Every month the volunteer will receive 150€ as pocket money.
- Working hours – The volunteers are expected to spend 30-35 hours a week working. The daily timetable includes time for language learning, lunch, social activities and development of own project ideas, etc.
- Days off – Volunteers are entitled to two days off per week (usually Saturday and Sunday) as well as 2 extra days of vacation for every month of their voluntary work.
VOLUNTEERS’ PROFILE: WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
We are looking for young motivated volunteers aged 18-30, open minded, eager to learn about this field of work and other cultures. It is not required to have any particular degree of formal education, but to have positive and proactive attitude, show tolerance, flexibility, motivation and enthusiasm. In this project, patience, responsibility and the capacity to work in a team will be highly appreciated. We encourage applications especially from youngsters who already have some experience in volunteering or in working with people with autism and are, at this moment, available to commit to a long term experience of volunteer work abroad and willing to know more about the work developed in this field of action. Any knowledge in Health, Special needs’ Education and Portuguese is a plus, however it is not a requirement.
All candidates must be registered with the European Solidarity Corps.
In order to be considered for the vacancies, each candidate has to send (in only 1 single e-mail):
- up-to-date CV,
- project-specific Motivation Letter
- short presentation about AAMA’s work (the format is absolutely free for you to choose; for the best content do a little research on AAMA’s website and communication channels!).
The complete applications (CV + project-specific Motivation Letter+short presentation) should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than on May, 20th 2019.
FINAL REMARKS (please read carefully):
- this project is already approved by the ESC Program;
- this is an open call with no assigned sending/supporting organization (we will partner up with the sending organization of the selected volunteer);
- candidates residing in any of the program countries may apply;
- as this volunteer placement involves direct work with children, the selected volunteers will have to provide us with their criminal record certificate;
- we only accept complete applications that contain all the required documents;
- we can´t consider applications sent after the deadline (May, 20th);
- due to the high number of candidates, we are only able to contact the short-listed candidates (in order to invite them for a brief Skype interview);
- all the other candidates will be informed about the selection results by June, 30th through our website.