ESC vacancy at J.F.C., Culture Dept., Lisbon, Portugal
Associação Spin, acting as the Coordinating organization, is currently looking for 1 ESC volunteer for an already approved project with our local partner Junta de Freguesia de Carnide, for the Culture Dept., starting in November, 2019!
Hosting: Junta de Freguesia de Carnide
Coordinator: Associação Spin
Activity start date: 1st November 2019
Activity end date: 31st October 2020
Activity duration: 12 months
Vacancies: 1 (for volunteers residents in EU or EFTA countries)
Application deadline: October, 8th 2019
Application consists of: CV, project-specific motivation letter, small presentation about an activity (more information below)
Application sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The hosting institution, Junta de Freguesia de Carnide, is the local administrative unit of the Carnide area in Lisbon. In this organization, the volunteer is going to work for the Culture Dept., specifically at the Library Natalia Correia.
– Support the Library’s team, reception and Internet area;
– Support for the development and implementation of adult training projects in ICT (information and communicating technologies);
– Support to the youth’s Internet area – support for research and homework;
– Collaboration with the team in the elaboration of ICT materials, supporting the activities and its implementation in the library;
– Elaboration and implementation, with the young readers, of a bulletin/digital newspaper online;
– Support and create activities with children, youth and adults;
– Organization of the Library’s collection and archive;
– Support for cultural initiatives organized by the Parish Local Council (fairs, concerts, exhibitions, etc.).
Junta de Freguesia de Carnide – Culture Dept. intends to support the volunteers to create their own events or initiatives, in accordance with their principles and upon Board’s approval. To get a general idea of the ESC at Junta de Freguesia de Carnide, watch a four-part documentary made about previous volunteers (it is in Portuguese): part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4.
LOGISTICS & PRACTICAL INFO:
- Travel cost – The two-way travel (from place of residence to Lisbon and back) will be reimbursed up to the limit of 275€ (180€ for volunteers coming from Spanish cities close to the Portuguese border); volunteers facing serious economic obstacles will be able to request a higher limit.
- Accommodation – Coordinating & hosting organization, Associação Spin, will provide the lodging in a flat as close to the office and the city center as possible. If the apartment is located in the city center, the volunteers will spend around 45 minutes to reach the workplace by bus and subway. The volunteers will have to share the room with another volunteer/student/young person (room and connected expenses are paid by Associação Spin). They may also – if so wished by the volunteer – receive a monthly accommodation allowance and be solely responsible for finding and paying for their own accommodation.
- Food & transportation – A monthly allowance of 180€ will be provided by Associação Spin to cover food expenses and local public transportation.
- Pocket money – Every month the volunteer will receive 150€ as pocket money.
- Working hours – The volunteers are expected to spend 30-35 hours a week working. The daily timetable includes time for language learning, lunch, social activities and development of own project ideas, etc.
- Days off – Volunteers are entitled to two days off per week (usually on weekends, but not always) as well as 2 extra days of vacation for every month of their voluntary work.
VOLUNTEERS’ PROFILE: WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
We are looking for young motivated volunteers aged 18-30, open minded, eager to learn about new cultures and lifestyles, as well as to participate in the project activities in the local community. It is not required to have any particular degree of formal education, but to have positive and proactive attitude, show tolerance, flexibility, motivation and enthusiasm. In this project, the capacity to work in a team will be highly appreciated (both within the hosting organization and with the local partners in Carnide). We encourage applications especially from youngsters who already have some experience in volunteering or in working with cultural projects and children and are, at this moment, available to commit to a long term experience of volunteer work abroad and willing to know more about the work developed in the area of culture for a special Lisbon community of Carnide. Any knowledge of Portuguese is going to be considered a plus.
According to the 2019 Erasmus+ rules, all candidates must be registered with the European Solidarity Corps.
In order to be considered for the vacancies, each candidate has to send (in only 1 single e-mail):
- up-to-date CV,
- project-specific Motivation Letter
- presentation about an idea/activity you would like to implement at the Library.
The complete applications (CV + project-specific Motivation Letter+short presentation) should be sent to email@example.com , no later than October, 8th, 2019.
Final remarks (please read carefully):
- this project is already approved by the ESC Program;
- candidates residing in EU or EFTA countries may apply;
- this is an open call with no assigned sending/supporting organization (we will partner up with the sending organization of the selected volunteer);
- as this volunteer placement involves direct work with children, the selected volunteers will have to provide us with their criminal record certificates;
- we only accept complete applications that contain all the required documents;
- due to the high number of candidates, we are only able to contact the short-listed candidates (in order to invite them for a brief Skype interview);
- all the other candidates will be informed about the selection results by October, 17th through our website.