EVS vacancies at Crescer a Cores (Lisbon, Portugal)
Host: Associação Crescer a Cores (2013-PT-57)
Coordinator: Associação Spin (2012-PT-21)
Sending IT: Associazione Vicolocorto (2012-IT-4)
Sending ES: Asociación Mundus (2013-ES-63)
Project name: Carnide Plus
Activity start date: 1st September 2014
Activity end date: 31st August 2015
Activity duration: 12 months
Vacancies: 2 (1 Italian resident and 1 Spanish resident exclusively)
Application deadline: 3rd August 2014
Application consists of: CV and project-specific motivation letter
Application sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org (Italian candidates) & email@example.com (Spanish candidates)
“Crescer a Cores – Associação de Solidariedade Social – IPSS” is an Association officially considered as a Private Institution for Social Solidarity by the Portuguese Law. Crescer a Cores is a non-profit association with regional reach which main aim is to accompany and support the social inclusion of our target groups which are Children, Youngsters and Families who are in social disadvantage situations, through providing community responses and services on the fields of psychology, education and health. EVS volunteers will work mainly with our biggest target group: children aged 4 months to 13 years old.
The volunteers’ tasks will be to:
1. provide support to the educators in the daily recreational activities for children aged 4-36 months old (telling stories, puppet theatres, playing with the children, drawing and painting, etc.)
2. support in the organization of cultural events with families, children and local community by preparing creative informative materials, making contacts with stakeholders, arranging decorations and preparing the spaces for hosting the beneficiaries
3. help the Psycho-pedagogical Resources Center by: collaborating in local projects with the community on the frames of project “Horta Nova em rede”, namely in “Conversas entre Vizinhos” activities which promotes the dialogue and interaction among neighbors in a socially marginalized neighborhood of Carnide;
4. participate in the creation of materials and activities & in the organization and implementation of Summer camps with children aged 6-13 years;
5. participate in School sessions for children aged 9-12 years old in order to promote their social integration;
6. participate in meetings of the Community’s Youth, Education and Social Advisory Council of Carnide.
“Crescer a Cores” intends to support the volunteers to create their own events or initiatives, in accordance with their principles and upon Board’s approval.
Volunteers are expected to spend 30-35 hours a week working. Their timetable will include space for work at Crescer a Cores, language lessons, days off, social activities and development of their own project ideas, etc.
Concerning the stay of the EVS volunteers, the coordinating organization, Associação Spin, will provide the lodging in an apartment, double bedroom with fully equipped kitchen, toilet, laundry facilities and living room. The costs with electricity, water, gas, tv, are covered by the Coordinating Organization. The volunteers will have to share the apartment with other volunteers/students/young people. Each volunteer will also be sharing their room with another youngster, volunteer or student, of the same gender. The flat will have all standard and safe living conditions as well as respect all hygiene and general Portuguese safety standards. It will be located as close as possible to the workplace and the city center. The Coordinating Organization will provide towels and bed linen for the entire period of the project.
A monthly allowance is provided by the coordinating organization to cover food expenses and local public transportations, including also pocket money.
We are looking for young motivated volunteers aged 20-30, open minded, eager to learn about new cultures and lifestyles, as well as to participate in the project activities in the local community. It is not required to have any particular degree of formal education, but to have positive and proactive attitude, show tolerance, flexibility, motivation and enthusiasm. In this project, age and maturity are important due to direct work with children and families in the neighborhood. We encourage applications especially from youngsters who already have some experience in volunteering or in working with children and youngsters and are, at this moment, available to commit to a long term experience of volunteer work abroad and willing to know more about the social work developed in a special community of Lisbon, Carnide. Priority is given to candidates with fewer opportunities (please consult the sending organizations whether this status applies in your situation). Any knowledge of Portuguese is a plus, however it is not a requirement.
Special remarks (please read carefully):
- this project has already received funding from the Erasmus+ Program, so it is sure that it starts in September
- only candidates residing in Spain and Italy can apply (our sending partner organizations are from those countries, there is no possibility of change in this regard)
- as this volunteer placement involves direct work with children, the selected volunteers will have to provide us with their criminal record certificates
- we only accept complete applications that contain all the required documents
- we can´t consider applications sent after the deadline
- if you reside in Italy send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org and if you reside in Spain send your application to email@example.com, applications sent through other communication channels (Facebook, Youthnetworks, etc.) will not be considered
- due to the high number of candidates, we are only able to contact the short-listed candidates (in order to invite them for a brief Skype interview)
- all the other candidates will be informed about the selection results by August, 17th through our website
- you can download this call for volunteers in pfd from here