ESC vacancy at JFL-Education Dept, Lisbon, Portugal
Associação Spin, acting as the Coordinating Organization, is currently looking for 1 ESC volunteer for an approved project with our local partner Junta de Freguesia do Lumiar!
Hosting Organization: Junta de Freguesia do Lumiar
Coordinating Organization: Associação Spin
Activity start date: 1st May 2019
Activity end date: 29th February 2020
Activity duration: 10 months
Vacancies: 1 (resident in an EU/EFTA country)
Application deadline: as soon as possible
Application consists of: CV and project-specific motivation letter
Application sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The hosting institution, Junta de Freguesia de Lumiar, is the local council of the Lumiar area in Lisbon. In this institution, the volunteers are going to cooperate with the Education Department, namely they are going to work at local school recreation centers (Quinta dos Frades and S.Vicente Schools – Vicentix, Futurix and CAF Bairro Cruz Vermelha)
- Collaborate with the Education/Educators’ Coordinating team
- Facilitate and promote activities with children and school community
- Program and implement new projects in the area of education together with the Coordinating team and Educators
- Prepare materials, tools for activities with children, both indoors and outdoors
- Support in after-school activities for children and youngsters
- Support children and youngsters in doing homework
- Contribute to teaching songs, dances and games with children and youngsters
- Support the educators during summer day camp activities with children and youngsters
- Participate in meetings with parents and educators
JF Lumiar intends to support the volunteers in creating their own events or initiatives, in accordance with their principles and upon Board’s approval.
LOGISTICS & PRACTICAL INFO:
- Travel cost – The two-way travel (from place of residence to Lisbon and back) will be reimbursed up to the limit of 275€; volunteers facing serious economic obstacles will be able to request a higher limit.
- Accommodation – Coordinating & hosting organization, Associação Spin, will provide the lodging in a flat as close to the office and the city center as possible. If the apartment is located in the city center, the volunteers will spend around 35 minutes to reach the work place. The volunteers will have to share the room with another volunteer/student/young person (room and connected expenses are paid by Associação Spin). They may also – if so wished by the volunteer – receive a monthly accommodation allowance and be solely responsible for finding and paying for their own accommodation.
- Food & transportation – A monthly allowance of 180€ will be provided by Associação Spin to cover food expenses and local public transportation.
- Pocket money – Every month the volunteer will receive 150€ as pocket money.
- Working hours – The volunteers are expected to spend 30-35 hours a week working. The daily timetable includes time for language learning, lunch, social activities and development of own project ideas, etc.
- Days off – Volunteers are entitled to two days off per week (usually on Saturday and Sunday) as well as 2 extra days of vacation for every month of their voluntary work.
VOLUNTEERS’ PROFILE: WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
We are looking for young motivated volunteers aged 18-30, open minded, eager to learn about new cultures and lifestyles, as well as to participate in the project activities in the local community. It is not required to have any particular degree of formal education, but to have positive and proactive attitude, show tolerance, flexibility, motivation and enthusiasm. In this project, patience and the capacity to work in a team will be highly appreciated. We encourage applications especially from youngsters who already have some experience in volunteering or in working with children and youngsters and are, at this moment, available to commit to a long term experience of volunteer work abroad. Priority is given to candidates with fewer opportunities (please consult the sending organization whether this status applies in your situation). Any knowledge of Portuguese is a plus, however it is not a requirement.
All candidates must be registered with the European Solidarity Corps.
In order to be considered for the vacancies, each candidate has to send (in only 1 single e-mail):
- up-to-date CV,
- project-specific Motivation Letter (including information on preferred start date of voluntary service).
The complete applications (CV + project-specific Motivation Letter) should be sent to email@example.com as soon as possible. The applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Final remarks (please read carefully):
- this is a last-minute call for an already approved project;
- this is an open call with no assigned sending/supporting organization (we will partner up with the sending organization of the selected volunteer);
- we will give strong preference to candidates who are available to come to Lisbon as soon as possible (preferably beginning of May);
- only candidates from or residing in the EU or EFTA countries may apply (this is a last-minute call and therefore there is no time to apply for a visa);
- please make sure you are registered with the European Solidarity Corps;
- we only accept complete applications that contain all the required documents;
- there is no deadline for applications, because we will review them on a rolling basis (we suggest you send your application as soon as possible);
- due to the high number of candidates, we are only able to contact the short-listed candidates (in order to invite them for a brief Skype interview);
- all the other candidates will be informed about the selection results through our website as soon as the volunteer has been selected.