ESC vacancy at SPEM, Lisbon, Portugal
Associação Spin, acting as the Coordinating organization, is currently looking for 1 ESC volunteer for a project with our local partner SPEM (Portuguese Society of Multiple Sclerosis).
Hosting Organization: Sociedade Portuguesa de Esclerose Múltipla
Coordinating Organization: Associação Spin
Activity start date: 1st October 2020
Activity end date: 30th September 2021
Activity duration: 12 months
Vacancies: 1 (for volunteers residing in Spain, France or Italy exclusively)
Application deadline: August 31st, 2020
Application consists of: filling this Google form + CV, project-specific motivation letter + small presentation of an activity (more information below)
Application sent to: email@example.com
The Portuguese Multiple Sclerosis Society (SPEM) is a Portuguese charity founded in 1984 with the mission to improve the quality of life of people with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) by providing them and their caregivers & relatives with several social services. SPEM develops its activities in different, but complementary areas: on one hand it works with public powers and national competent authorities in social and health areas, in order to promote a higher efficiency in spreading the information about the MS disease and access to the related therapies; on the other hand, it provides integrated and multidisciplinary support through specialized services such as the Occupational Activities Centre, Neurorehabilitation Centre, home care, Psychological Care, Social Work or Juridical Support. To get a better idea of what an ESC in SPEM will be like, check this video made about a previous volunteer.
PROPOSED VOLUNTEER ACTIVITIES:
– Support daily activities at the Occupational Activities’ Centre (a centre that aims to promote the development and maintenance of competences and social integration of people with Multiple Sclerosis, increasing their autonomy in their daily routines and increasing their quality of life through: handicrafts activities, training on new competencies, movement / relaxation sessions, recreational and therapeutic / recreational activities);
– Providing support to the patients during lunch hour;
– Logistically accompanying and supporting day trips with the patients;
– Support the Social Work (EM’Laço Project) through home visits to socially isolated people and outdoor activities;
– Providing support to fundraising campaigns and events’ organization;
– Participation in regular events calendar (exhibitions, debates, books presentations, concerts, etc).
SPEM intends to support the volunteers to create their own events or initiatives, in accordance with their principles and upon Board’s approval.
LOGISTICS & PRACTICAL INFO:
- Travel cost – The two-way travel (from place of residence to Lisbon and back) will be reimbursed up to the limit of 275€ (180€ for volunteers coming from cities close to the Portuguese border);
- Accommodation – The Coordinating Organization, Associação Spin, will provide the lodging in a flat as close to the office and the city centre as possible. If the apartment is located in the city centre, the volunteers will spend around 40 minutes to reach the working place. The volunteers will have to share the room with another volunteer/student/young person (room and connected expenses are paid by Associação Spin). They may also – if so, wished by the volunteer – receive a monthly accommodation allowance and be solely responsible for finding and paying for their own accommodation.
- Food & transportation – A monthly allowance of 180€ will be provided by Associação Spin to cover food expenses and local public transportation. Volunteers will also have the right to free lunch during working days.
- Pocket money – Every month the volunteer will receive 150€ as pocket money.
- Working hours – The volunteers are expected to spend 30-35 hours a week working. The daily timetable includes time for language learning, lunch, social activities and development of own project ideas, etc.
- Days off – Volunteers are entitled to two days off per week (usually on Saturday and Sunday) as well as 2 extra days of vacation for every month of their voluntary work.
VOLUNTEERS’ PROFILE: WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
We are looking for young motivated volunteers aged 18-30, open minded, eager to learn about new cultures and lifestyles, as well as to participate in the project activities in the local community. It is not required to have any particular degree of formal education, but to have positive and proactive attitude, show tolerance, flexibility, motivation and enthusiasm. We encourage applications especially from youngsters who already have some experience in volunteering or in working with people with disabilities and are, at this moment, available to commit to a long term experience of volunteer work abroad and willing to know more about the work developed in this field of action. We will give priority to candidates who have already some knowledge of Portuguese, however it’s not a requirement for the application.
According to the Erasmus+ rules, all candidates must be registered with the European Solidarity Corps.
In order to be considered for the vacancies, each candidate has to fill this Google form and send (in only 1 single e-mail):
- up-to-date CV,
- project-specific Motivation Letter
- small presentation of an activity you would like to implement in the centre
The complete applications (CV + project-specific Motivation Letter+ small presentation) should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org , no later than on August 31st, 2020.
Final remarks (please read carefully):
- This is a call for an already approved project;
- This is an open call with no assigned sending/supporting organization (we will partner up with the sending organization of the selected volunteer);
- Only candidates residing in Italy, France or Spain may apply may to this vacancy;
- Please make sure you are registered with the European Solidarity Corps;
- We only accept complete applications that contain all the required documents;
- In this selection process priority will be given to candidates whose profile is well-suited to the proposed activities and who can be considered fewer opportunities candidates;
- Due to the high number of candidates, we are only able to contact the short-listed candidates (in order to invite them for a brief Skype interview);
- All the other candidates will be informed about the selection results by September 10th through our website.