ESC vacancy at Academia Senior, Lisbon, Portugal
Associação Spin, acting as the Coordinating organization, is currently looking for 1 ESC volunteer for a project with our local partner, JFC – Academia Senior de Carnide, starting in November 2020!
Hosting Organisation: Junta de Freguesia de Carnide – Senior Academy
Coordinating Organisation: Associação Spin
Activity start date: 1st November 2020
Activity end date: 31st October 2021
Activity duration: 12 months
Vacancies: 1 (for volunteers residents in EU or EFTA countries)
Application deadline: 16th August 2020
Application consists of: filling this Google form + CV, project-specific motivation letter, small presentation about an activity (more information below)
Application sent to: email@example.com
The hosting institution, Junta de Freguesia de Carnide, is the local administrative unit of the Carnide area in Lisbon. In this organization, the volunteer is going to work in the Senior Academy (a type of a Third Age University).
- Support the cultural and recreational activities promoted in the Academy, such as language and dance classes;
- Promote and implement cultural and recreational workshops for the seniors (ex: language teaching workshop, dance, handicrafts, etc.);
- Participate and support the Organization of Senior’s Arraial and Christmas Lunch, Carnival, etc.
- Support to organization and implementation of cultural visits;
- Participate in Elder’s summer colonies;
- Support to the front and back office work.
Junta de Freguesia de Carnide – Academia Senior intends to support the volunteers to create their own events or initiatives, in accordance with their principles and upon Board’s approval. To get a general idea of the EVS at Junta de Freguesia de Carnide, watch a four-part documentary made about previous volunteers (it is in Portuguese): part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4.
LOGISTICS & PRACTICAL INFO:
- Travel cost – The two-way travel (from place of residence to Lisbon and back) will be reimbursed up to the limit of 275€ (180€ for volunteers coming from cities close to the Portuguese border); volunteers facing economic obstacles will be able to request a higher limit, depending on their country of residence.
- Accommodation – Coordinating & hosting organization, Associação Spin, will provide the lodging in a flat as close to the office and the city centre as possible. If the apartment is located in the city center, the volunteers will spend around 45 minutes to reach the workplace by bus and subway. The volunteers will have to share the room with another volunteer/student/young person (room and connected expenses are paid by Associação Spin). They may also – if so wished by the volunteer – receive a monthly accommodation allowance and be solely responsible for finding and paying for their own accommodation.
- Food & transportation – A monthly allowance of 180€ will be provided by Associação Spin to cover food expenses and local public transportation.
- Pocket money – Every month the volunteer will receive 150€ as pocket money.
- Working hours – The volunteers are expected to spend 30-35 hours a week working. The daily timetable includes time for language learning, lunch, social activities and development of own project ideas, etc.
- Days off – Volunteers are entitled to two days off per week (usually on weekends, but not always) as well as 2 extra days of vacation for every month of their voluntary work.
VOLUNTEERS’ PROFILE: WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
We are looking for young motivated volunteers aged 18-30, open minded, eager to learn about this field of work and other cultures. It is not required to have any particular degree of formal education, but to have positive and proactive attitude, show tolerance, flexibility, motivation and enthusiasm. In this project, creativity, patience and the capacity to work in a team will be highly appreciated. We encourage applications especially from youngsters who already have some experience in volunteering or in working with senior citizens and are, at this moment, available to commit to a long term experience of volunteer work abroad and willing to knowmore about the work developed in this field of action. We will give some priority to candidates who have at least a basic level of Portuguese, however it’s not a requirement for the application.
According to the 2020 Erasmus+ rules, all candidates must be registered with the European Solidarity Corps.
In order to be considered for the vacancies, each candidate has to fill this Google form and send (in only 1 single e-mail):
- up-to-date CV,
- project-specific Motivation Letter
- presentation about an idea/activity you would like to implement in the Academy.
The complete applications (CV + project-specific Motivation Letter+short presentation) should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 16th August 2020.
Final remarks (please read carefully):
- this project is already approved by the ESC Program;
- only candidates residing in EU or EFTA countries may apply;
- this is an open call with no assigned sending/supporting organization (we will partner up with the sending organization of the selected volunteer);
- we only accept complete applications that contain all the required documents;
- In this selection process priority will be given to candidates whose profile is well-suited to the proposed activities and who can be considered fewer opportunities candidates;
- due to the high number of candidates, we are only able to contact the short-listed candidates (in order to invite them for a brief Skype interview);
- all the other candidates will be informed about the selection results by September 15th through our website.